- How did you feel about your performance in the assessment? Can you identify any key learning points for your practice?
I think I’ve prepared the ppt properly, but my introduction words about all the research, concept and making process should’ve be more clearly.
About the content, the main problem was my final pieces were lack of innovative idea. To be more specific, the repetition form and sphere shape I used could be made into big piece and suitable for large amount repeated, however, my final pieces were small and with very normal wearability.
Key learning points:
- Be sensitive in choosing colors
- Using different ways to translate the lizard skin texture
- Using machine and handmaking properly
- Consider innovative form and wearabilities
- What did you learn from observing/discussing your peers’ presentations?
- A complete development process with “research-sketches-experiments-sample and model making-product” is the most important thing. In other words, the content is No.1. I think Yichen’s presentation was impressive and her content was very complete, she arranged her sketches of jewellery and wearabilities, making process and development very well. She also used short film, gif images with sound to perform her works, which mobilized not only our vision sense, but also hearing, to understand her work better.
- The content of ppt should be clear and logical, with enough images support. Haochen’s presentation have a lot of images to show us what kind of plastic she did experiments with, and explained how she made the choices. Xingxing’s presentation has very consistent photos recorded her working process carefully.
- A clear state of the ppt pages is necessary.
- A designer should pay attention on visual quality of everything, not only jewellery pieces, but also the presentation ppt.
- What is your action plan as you move into the next developmental stage – JEW7020 Creative Explorations –
- Drawing more sketches of texture and colors. This time I would consider the relationship between the color of a whole pieces and a single piece. And I want to draw some textures which could be more suitable for the new 3D shape.
- Using 3D print to make new sphere shells(whole piece, holy, gradient size)
- Drawing and building models to consider the wearabilities.
- Experiment on knitting on the surface of the holy shells, developing the surface texture.
- Still using universal milling machine to make the connectors, and casting with liquid rubber, adjust the size.
- Do more research on the wearabilities.